Main site has far too much Javascript, is very slow
  • At the risk of sounding like a huge whiner, the new Jamendo website has way too much Javascript. On low spec computers such as my EeePC, it ranges from annoyingly slow to completely unusable; rendering individual pages routinely takes 10-15 seconds. Browser doesn't matter much - current versions of Chrome, Opera, and Firefox, and Internet Explorer are all pretty slow. Even on more powerful computers it often a royal pain to use.

The old website may have been less pretty, but it was much faster and much more convenient. Currently, I'm barely using Jamendo at all, and that is almost entirely because of the rendering delays; it is faster and easier to look up Jamendo/copyleft artists on Youtube than to find their material on Jamendo itself, and as a result I just can't be bothered with Jamendo most of the time.

I realize that server-side scripting probably can't handle all the traffic, but IMO this is really not a good state of affairs...

Personally, my suggestion on this is to implement a mobile version of the site, with less JS and designed for smaller screens. This would kill two birds with one stone, providing better support for phones and tablets while also making Jamendo usable on less powerful desktops. A look at Wikipedia's mobile version (mobile.wikipedia.org) should probably give a good idea of what a mobile version should look like...
  • Jamendo has always been flakey - old site , new site nothing has changed. Slow, Loads of buggy scripts, logins dont work properly, statistics are alway screwed, sheesh its useless. Not something to be relied upon. I never send anyone here I'm too embarrassed to recommend this crock of shit site.