Last.fm support
  • Who is listening:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::heart::heart::boogie:
  • I would really like to see jamendo albums appear on Last.fm so I can let people know about all of the great Free music I've been listening to.
  • Hi!

We're in the process of uploading the albums to last.fm. More on this soon!

Thanks
  • Is it possible to integrate the last.fm plugin with Jamendo's player?!? So that songs I listen thru jamendo get in my last.fm profile?!?

I think it is a cool feature to add :-)

cheers!
  • I would imagine that adding "audioscrobbling" to the Jamendo player should be fairly easy (i.e. submitting details of played tracks to Last.fm)

If you also supply the MBID (MusicBrainz track ID) it should go even smoother. This is important if the track details are a little odd (e.g. funny characters, names like "track 9") and would otherwise get blocked by the Last.fm "junk" filter.
  • What would be really awesome, is if jamendo had a link with last.fm, so that jamendo could recommend music based on what music is scrobbled through last.fm. It would provide a fantastic way to find new artists if you don't already know any artists on jamendo.
  • Tracks played through Rythmbox or Amarok show up in your last.fm profile:bigsmile:
  • [quote=sylvinus]We're in the process of uploading the albums to last.fm. More on this soon![/quote]

Any news on this? It still looks like most tracks aren't available on Last.fm .
  • [quote=organelas]Is it possible to integrate the last.fm plugin with Jamendo's player?!? So that songs I listen thru jamendo get in my last.fm profile?!?

I think it is a cool feature to add :-)[/quote]

I to think would be a fantastic feature! :cool:
  • It's a shame not to have an option for last.fm submissions built into the on-site player! Last.fm is a good way for artists to get free grassroots publicity, via lots of people who (like me) have been on there for a long time without ever finding out about Jamendo.
  • Jamendo and Last FM are competitors. WHY I ASK SOMEONE? I "being an artist" signed up with Jamendo, NOT Last FM, for a reason. I think combining the two for whatever reason is ludicrous. If you want, sign up with both and go for it, but leave integration for the south in th 60's:angry:
  • well it's about getting the music to the people, but last i heard, getting YOUR music to the people is YOUR (not yours, freebox) responsibility. for the people who want last.fm integration, jamendo isn't your personal record label. they shouldn't have to do much more for you than host your music and a place to bitch and complain to them how much you think they suck. oh sure, it would be great if they did all that work, but that's really asking a lot of them.

if you're serious about being an artist, get off your ass (metaphorically speaking) and do it yourself instead of whining about how jamendo should do it for you. jesus christ, it's not hard. it just takes a little time and organization.

on top of that, i don't even think jamendo has the legal right to be putting your music on someone else's website. i don't know about the rest of you, but i kind of like having some control over where my music is. and then there are the records out that aren't on jamendo that i can put up there to organize it and make sure it's all in one place for people to hear if that's what i choose.
  • It seems to me that last.fm and Jamendo have different purposes... I think it would be fantastic to have Jamendo recommendations based on Lastfm profile... Lastfm keeps track of your musical tastes; if a tool could be provided to analyze lastfm data and recommend Jamendo artists (similar to the external artists search on jamendo, except automatic...) that would be amazing. I think this would benefit the Jamendo artists immensely!
  • [quote=THEfreebox]I "being an artist" signed up with Jamendo, NOT Last FM, for a reason.[/quote]
    You seem to be mixing up the concepts of releasing music under Creative Commons license and signing up with a label.

CC music has free distribution as its defining purpose, whereas signing up with a label has the exact opposite purpose, namely exclusive distribution and almost always non-free.

Jamendo as a Creative Commons distributor is not in competition with any other, in respect of music exclusivity --- they all form part of the same world Commons.

Jamendo *is* in competition in other aspects of course, for example in making their music delivery effective and their website attractive for advertising, which then benefits musicians who subscribe to their revenue sharing. This however is entirely separate from the music itself, which is not Jamendo's property. It is its authors' property, but with non-revocable free distribution to the Commons under the terms of the appropriate CC license.

So no, there is nothing stopping Jamendo from distributing the CC music in its catalogue to all and sundry. Quite the opposite, that is its ROLE as a CC media distributor.
  • how about the sheer amount of work that it would take? honestly, i really don't know if it's worth the time and financial investment for jamendo to undertake that endeavour. even though there are creative commons artists on last.fm, the website is owned by the cbs corporation.

you know, it's not like jamendo is your personal record label. they don't, and shouldn't have any responsibility to do that job for you. their job, as a distributor, ends when they put the tunes up here. despite what you believe, anything you perceive involved with creative commons is wholly invented. creative commons is just another means of licensing and copyrighting. that's it. if you believe there's a community surrounding the cc license, good for you, but i really don't see it.

i mean, i personally am not opposed to my work going up on last.fm, but if it's going up, i'm going to put it up there myself. that way i am the one that is still in control. i didn't sign up with a cc license just so anyone could do whatever they wanted to with my music without my permission.

secretspicy15 said:
    I think this would benefit the Jamendo artists immensely!

yeah, i dunno. i think you're really overplaying the importance of last.fm just a tad.
  • [quote=officernarc]i didn't sign up with a cc license just so anyone could do whatever they wanted to with my music without my permission.[/quote]
    That's hilarious. :bigsmile:

When you released your music under CC, that's exactly what you signed up for, limited only by the terms of the license. Your music is now part of the world music Commons, and you are merely the copyright holder. And NOBODY requires your permission to do anything that's allowed by the license, which, by the way, is not revocable by you. :bigsmile:

Have a nice day. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
  • Morgaine said:
    And NOBODY requires your permission to do anything that's allowed by the license

oh, you think you're fuckin' clever, don't you? i wasn't talking about distribution but commercial use. people are free to download, listen to, share, etc. as they will as long as money isn't involved and AHAHA i'm pretty sure last.fm falls under "commercial use" you know, considering the whole "for profit" model of the website. and HAHAHAH yes it is revocable, just not retroactively.

don't talk to me like i'm some kind of money grubbing, greedy asshole. i don't give a shit about my stuff being used, most of the time. i'm not in this to fucking screw people over. i am looking out for my rights as an artist. i simply don't want to be exploited. and ok, sure you don't HAVE TO tell me if you are putting one of my songs into a youtube video, but i feel like i have a right to know if my material is being used in nazi recruitment films or if it's being used as a soundtrack for fucking shilling cars.
  • ROFL. Calm down, officernarc. Or did you take some of those narcs you confiscated. :wink:
  • i just don't appreciate smart assery, that's all.
  • I merely quoted what Creative Commons licenses say. The fact that you didn't like it pointed out that you are no longer in control of albums after releasing them to the Commons is your own problem, not "smart assery". You're merely the copyright holder now, and as long as the terms of the license you chose are not broken, you have zero say in what happens to your music, nor can you withdraw a work nor block further distribution.

Creative Commons isn't a cheap way of getting publicity and making money. It's a way of giving your work to the world.

PS. I do actually agree with you that when CC works are incorporated outside of their original context (eg. music used as a film soundtrack) then the author should be consulted in order to avoid inappropriate associations. It's just about being nice. However, being nice is not a legal requirement when using works covered by CC licenses. :wink:
  • Morgaine said:
    I merely quoted what Creative Commons licenses say. The fact that you didn't like it pointed out that you are no longer in control of albums after releasing them to the Commons is your own problem, not "smart assery". You're merely the copyright holder now, and as long as the terms of the license you chose are not broken, you have zero say in what happens to your music, nor can you withdraw a work nor block further distribution.

dude, i know what my license entails. don't assume i'm new.

Morgaine said:
    Creative Commons isn't a cheap way of getting publicity and making money. It's a way of giving your work to the world.

allow me to reiterate an earlier point. i've never said that creative commons was a way of getting publicity and making money. however, i HAVE said that it is a protection against people who want to exploit your work. do you think i'm worried about little billy down the street who wants to make a video of their high school presentation and post it on youtube? fuck that. what i'm worried about is some corporate fuck who thinks it would be awesome to take one of my songs and put it in spider-man 4 without my permission, not that it would probably ever happen, but just go with it.

but you know, stranger things have happened. and honestly, no matter how unlikely it might be for me in particular, there are hundreds of stories out there of people who got dicked over by corporate shitheels because they were stupid and thought the entertainment industry wouldn't fuck them. and THAT is something you have to prepare yourself for as an artist. because you never know just who is going to try and exploit you and fuck you over.
  • Is anything happening with this. Seems to me that scrobbling to Last.fm should be a great way to improve the visibility of Jamendo artists. I can't see how this can be anything but a benefit to the artists.

Uploading stuff to Last.fm is a completely different issue (though I am in favour there too).
  • Just adding my support for more last.fm integration, for what it's worth.

Big thanks for making Jamendo what it is: the most amazing source of free/libre music online!
  • I don't use Jamendo, because your player lack of audioscrobbler scrobbling support, sorry - I'm Last.fm addict.
  • If Jamendo team are still at it, I'm afraid I must say it would now make little sense. Last.fm as "social music revolution" is now dead. It will be missed. :cry:

Recently I left last.fm, after almost five years of scrobbling, when they announced that they would charge for their Radio function outside three marketable countries (the United Kingdom, the United States and Germany, that is). One staff member even called approx. 190 other countries "some parts of the world", rather carelessly. They boasted how global they are, and have no idea whatsoever about what it stands for. What a laughing stock.

And they did not let the artists, whose license-free music are on Last.fm, know of this change beforehand. It's fair for Last.fm to get paid for their streaming major label tracks, but if they are going to charge people who only listen to the truely "free" tracks, it is not a right thing to do. And they are not interested in "turning Last.fm into Jamendo" (even if jamendo is great).

Last.fm did improve the visibility of Jamendo artists - I came to know quite a few of them through last.fm's similar artist radio or tag radio, but now it would seem odd for them to have their track streamed by someone who charges radio users in more than 190 countries in the world.

Sorry for a long post.
  • I figure THEfreebox and officernarc were on to something when they protested sending music to last.fm. But I still hope last.fm will eventually listen to us. Even if it looks bleak now.
  • Last.fm it's a great way of promotion to any artist. I don't think there is any bad about integrating the music I listen to my list in Last.fm... I support integration!
  • Just want to point to LIBRE.FM as a possibility for some of you. I think from what I have read, not all of you, but I think it could end up working for some of you.
  • about the new things which happen at last.fm - i guess there are no people who like it the way it wents... but to be honest, i dont use last.fm because of the radio.. more only for scrobbling and talking to *friends*...
    so yeah, i'm one of those who thinks that it would be sweet to be able to scroble things which i listen here - that they show up there too...
  • you can scrobble what you want from here. you just have to download it first.
  • You could also just use an external player with scrobbling support (like VLC) to stream.

edit: Actually VLC does "audioscrobbler playlist debug: Not an audio local file, not submitting". :(
  • you must read this

http://www.last.fm/user/SubverseRadio/journal/2009/04/11/2n1f2w_revenue_%3E_morals :swingin:
  • Hello!
    I have something like a request/question.350-050
    Don't you all think enabling DHT and Peer Exchange for our torrents dl-ed from here will ease downloading? Less strain on the tracker, plus If someone had 312-50 lost connection to the tracker he will be able to acquire peers through either pex or dht.. On the other hand the tracker wont be able to track such transfers (remember, not all connections are made through dht n pex (only few actually)) and wont display correct "Downloaded" data. But does that really matter when the important thing is to get the music? :tooth:1z0-147 dumps
  • Yeah I would like a possibility to link my jamendo and last.fm accounts too, so that things i listen to here will be sent to last.fm and vice versa (which would maybe not make much sense in every case, but as far as i know jamendo and last.fm are not exact counterparts).
    When I see which fantastic work the developers here did with implementing apis and stuff, I believe that sending music-tags to last.fm would not be like an overwhelming feature. nice! :)
  • I think we should distinguish scrobbling plays to lastfm and uploading Jamendo albums there. Scrobbling would be fine and happens all the time, someone downloads an Album here and uses a player with a lastfm plugin. This would promote Jamendo artists. Can someone with adequate rights please file this in the issue tracker? Thank you!
  • I've entered this thought into the Tracker, we'll see what happens.

:peace:
  • Thanks! Most popular Jamendo Bands have a Lastfm profile anyway. They should get all possible support. Most of them also have links back to Jamendo.
  • Yer welcome, boss, just doing my job... coffee break time! LOL
  • Using last.fm's steerable recommendations, you might be able to filter the recommendations to only show music tagged 'jamendo':
    http://playground.last.fm/sterec/filter/jamendo

The 'jamendo' tag filter didn't show anything for me, but the "under 2000 listeners" tag filter worked:
    http://playground.last.fm/sterec/filter/%22under%202000%20listeners%22

NB: the 'jamendo' tag could be automatically added, in the same way it is done for the 'under 2000 listeners', see this page for more info: http://www.last.fm/user/TaggingMachine
  • It's still important, that people tag with jamendo themselves to get a better tag weight, one jamendo tag has a lesser effect, the more popular the artists is. This effect is not so important with the 'under 2000 listeners' tag.
    Also it's important that every one scrobbles jamendo artists. This keeps them related closer.

As recommendations, similar artists do well enough for me, but auto jamendo tagging is a great idea. Should we ask egg21 for help? I'm curious how he finds new artists. Tagging then is a simple api-request.
    Is there a simple way to get all artist names from jamendo?
    You could search last.fm for these names and then tag.
    An additional tag is 'creative commons'.
    The program could be enhanced:
    Download whole jamendo library, last.fm lookup and scrobble one song if the artist doesn't exist.
    Or one could implement it in the rhythmbox last.fm plugin:
    rhythmbox can already stream songs from jamendo and scrobble them to last.fm at the same time.
    That's great, because you can shuffle all jamendo artists. You can also sort by genre.
    Add a checkbox in the lastfm plugin "tag jamendo artists with 'jamendo' and 'creative commons'" and the api request.
    Also it should be logged, whom you already tagged.
  • last comment on this was 8 months ago. I'm guessing nothing is happening with this? freemusicarchive.org has scrobbling built in, so it's certainly not an impossible task. It's too bad FoxyTunes doesn't support Jamendo. If there's some browser extension that does support Jamendo I'd love to hear about it!
  • supposedly http://getmusicbee.com/download.html will scrobble Jamendo to Last.fm. However, it appears to only work on Windows.