Suggestion: Allow direct download of OGG Vorbis archives
  • EDIT: THE TEMPORARY SOLUTION IS TO USE FOLLOWING URL:

http://www.jamendo.com/get/album/id/album/archiverestricted/redirect/ALBUMID/?are=ogg3

http://www.jamendo.com/get/album/id/album/archiverestricted/redirect/ PUT SOMETHING HERE /?are=ogg3

Hi,

Currently, all torrents' seeding needs to be hand-enabled by moderators, which requires users to inform them of the specific albums (as reported here).

I suggest, that you enable direct downloading of OGG Vorbis Album archives, preferably in .7zip format.

If you too suffer from the current state of OGG Vorbis Album availability, please inform the Jamendo team of this by commenting on this thread.

Thank you
  • Yes, please. It's so frustrating to see the ogg theoretically available but then not be able to get it because there are no BitTorrent seeders.
  • I really really would appreciate being able to get ogg vorbis format music (or flac if available) from Jamendo.
    I have no preference how it's distributed (via direct download or torrents).

If any moderators are reading this, I'd very much like to grab "DJ NoS-K - Brother"
    http://torrents.jamendo.com/en/ogg/album/41037
    Via the torrent here: http://imgjam.com/torrents/album/37/41037/41037-ogg3.torrent/DJ%20NoS-K%20-%20Brother%20--%20Jamendo%20-%20OGG%20Vorbis%20q7%20-%202009.02.28%20%5Bwww.jamendo.com%5D.torrent

Other than that, I'm really quite impressed with Jamendo :D
    - Rhubarb
  • +1 to making Ogg Vorbis versions available.
  • I've been using: "http://www.jamendo.com/get/album/id/album/archiverestricted/redirect/%s/?p2pnet=bittorrent&are=ogg3" (where '%s' is the album number) to download ogg vorbis directly from Opera's search bar, but i agree direct downloads should be enabled until jamendo gets their bittorrent seeding working properly.
  • Nuihc88, you are my new personal hero. Thank you!
  • and one more supporter of the ideea. I'm not so sure whether 7zip would make a difference though... I think that's unnecessary, ogg is compressed enough. Since we are talking about torrents here, there's no need to "group" the songs into an album by archiving. Please do it, and do it right.

Perhaps, but really just perhaps, you could offer a third alternative - even higher quality mp3s - if that's even possible. For those who don't mind wasting space, savor quality and have compatibility issues with OGG.
  • I very much support JAMENDO, I've told about it to my friends, I'm planning to write to many freedom bands in Czech Republic to put their music on jamendo under CC.

But I dont understand using MP3. OGG is much superior to mp3 in EVERY way. Whose idea it was to offer old patented NON-FREE MP3 format?:angry: :neutral:

PLEASE PUT .OGG AS DEFAULT DOWNLOAD FOR MUSIC!!! :tongue:

viva la revolution :cheer:
  • supportFSF: Ogg is cool but let's face it, on 500k members on jamendo, not even 5k use it. There's no default support on window or mac os. So we can't put it in default.

That said, we have just received our new ogg seeding servers. They're being setup right now and about 3/4 of the ogg torrents are now properly seeded.
  • Hi sylvinus, the 500k members on jamendo don't represent the mainstream of music business, so let's face it, you can shut jamendo down anyhow :wink:

You needn't put ogg in as default, but a preference setting would be fine, because ogg is easily available on Windows and Macs, cf. http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Recommended_Ogg_Vorbis#Windows_binaries

and let's face another thing, even if this http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/ might look cheap for you, once there is only mp3 (just following your argument), you will have to pay what they want.
  • I just like to add a few lines I wasn't aware of previously. Jamendo's support of Vorbis is limited to torrents of full albums and to http://ogg.jamendo.com. That is, there are no Vorbis downloads for single tracks nor for playlists. (There are no direct Vorbis downloads for albums, either, which is asked for in this thread.)

Of course, it is great to have Vorbis downloads at all. Even at a rate of 320kbs, mp3s won't be transparent - it's not enough for higher frequencies, I stand ready to prove this with my old ears. It would really be a pity to have only mp3s for an album as elaborate as http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/43540, so if someone should ever manange to download the ogg files for this via torrent, send me a postcard. (Don't worry, thanks to the redirect link I have the ogg files already, and I can compare them with the mp3s I got earlier, because no chance for me to get to the oggs, so I am one of the 500k mp3 users, am I?)

A shop as successful as iTunes does not feature mp3, but aac. Vorbis is even slightly better than aac, so one could wonder what Jamendo is worried about. IMO Jamendo should at least treat Vorbis and mp3 equally. Rather it should feature Vorbis. If quality doesn't convince, the spirit of creative commons does not fit to mp3. (If someone cares, I have no problem to explain this further.) Please notice, it is this spirit that makes the difference between Jamendo and the establishment.
  • If ogg is being seeded, why is it taking me 2 days to download 50kb? Not complaining, mind you, just commenting. This is a great service and not many others offer ogg format.
  • Giovannino said:
    If ogg is being seeded, why is it taking me 2 days to download 50kb?

Because what you try to download is not popular. One seed and one guy trying to download is not what torrent is made for. There should be no trouble to download something popular like for instance "Brad Sucks" via torrent, and in http://www.jamendo.com/en/forums/discussion/6602/download-queue/ I try to point out why it is no good idea to still have http downloads for such popular things. This causes the download problem BitTorrent was designed to avoid.
  • hjfischer, as you mention yourself, Bittorrent is not good for many small (~40 Megabytes) unpopular (1 leecher per week or even per day) files. It would benefit everyone if Jamendo would simply ditch Bittorrent and go straight for HTTP serving. It is just the fuzzy warm feeling that would get lost.

edit: Oh wait, you are one of those pesky audiophiles you can hear the terrible compression artifacts in a high bitrate MP3. Since words of reason bounce off your skull just disregard what I wrote above.
    I wish the Ogg Vorbis at Jamendo was compressed to a reasonable bitrate (Q5) rather than being so bloaty. Never understood that. I mean hey, the main "mainstream" argument pro Vorbis is that it sounds better at the same size. And for normal people Q5 is perfectly transparent (as is V2 MP3).
  • [quote=hjfischer][/quote]
    Isn't Jamendo for great for the "particular" stuff. Lots of this stuff would never get out on a label, even a small one. Come on, Mongolian punk rock in my favorite local small town Italian music store? Prince is alternative here. I don't mind the wait, just wondering if it could be faster. If not, I'll wait.
  • Free Culture Community: GIVE US FREE MUSIC.
    Bands: Ok, sure. *gives music for free*
    Free Culture Community: Yay! Free music! Wait a minute! What the hell is this? MP3? *derisive snort & deletes files* Sorry guys, I only listen to music encoded in OGG.
  • Officernarc:
    I thought a part of the reason behind Jamendo was creative commons and avoiding greedy corporations. MP3 is a proprietary format that has real financial costs to have a license to use it. It's nice to have a non-proprietary format to go along with the creative commons license. If the music here was only available in MP3, I'd be happy with Jamendo just the same. Having ogg format available is an added bonus which I appreciate, but don't expect.
  • Agreed. Jamendo makes plenty of its support for creative commons and disdain of large music corporations. It could be doing more for open formats like ogg and flac. It is frustrating to hit the link for ogg torrent and find that it is useless. Please give us equal support for Ogg ! Please give us choice in the download music format.
  • [quote=Babler]It is frustrating to hit the link for ogg torrent and find that it is useless.[/quote]
    It is not only frustrating that you and I find OGG torrents that won't work. It's also frustrating that leechers finish and disappear. I seed OGG and it bothers me to see how often stuff gets requested from me as I am the only seeder and then in the end I'm still the only seeder although the leecher has 100% and should be a seeder. People wonder why torrents are so slow if there's only one seeder. More people should seed.

For new releases there is never a OGG seeder so a official direct download would help.

If you take a look at this: http://www.jamendo.com/en/forums/discussion/7616/direct-ogg-download/

If there's no seeder I download the stuff normally, put the unpacked data into my torrent client and start seeding the stuff. It works, but I'm not a good seeder and mostly I stay alone although the torrent is used. Well I'm seeding stuff that hasn't been requested so there's no need to wonder why I'm alone, but for stuff that is really popular.

BTW: Good that you still try the OGG torrent.
  • Giovannino said:
    Officernarc:
    I thought a part of the reason behind Jamendo was creative commons and avoiding greedy corporations. MP3 is a proprietary format that has real financial costs to have a license to use it. It's nice to have a non-proprietary format to go along with the creative commons license. If the music here was only available in MP3, I'd be happy with Jamendo just the same. Having ogg format available is an added bonus which I appreciate, but don't expect.

aw, i'm just bustin' yer nuts. let me buy you a beer, son.
  • Granted bastik_2009. Bitorrent relies upon a reasonable size user base that are prepared to upload (share) their data. Jamendo is the ideal forum for this tech because it is creative commons. A community of sharers is needed to make it work. Members need to give more than they take. Get the share ratio up. It is - after all - perfectly legal.

Re manual download - thanks I will try this.
  • [quote=Babler]Bitorrent relies upon a reasonable size user base that are prepared to upload (share) their data[/quote]
    Yes, and that is the point. Sure if there isn't any seeder no leecher will ever become a seeder. Those who take from me don't share it and that is what's wrong.

[quote=Babler]A community of sharers is needed to make it work. Members need to give more than they take[/quote]
    How to achieve that? How to motivate users to use the torrents and seed the stuff afterwards?
  • reference post
    http://www.jamendo.com/en/forums/discussion/7316/seed-torrents
    then
    http://www.jamendo.com/en/forums/discussion/4525/how-to-get-a-download-url-for-a-particular-track

I noticed Barabbas has uninformed to the posts current, he has created a player Jamendo that is part torrent. I have sent him a note to party in the forum.

I have programmed an interface to Jamendo in Songbird, it is incomplete. The function is to query browse or find music limited to the API jamendo. I think the limit interface program is a problem, though a programmer internal site jamendo can access any data (it appears at www.jamendo.com), a programmer external must decide to serve their own data from 'dumps' database or create an unattractive, malfunctional program.

The other problem is to create a community, musicians and consumers.

I think a solution to both problems is a player (program) Jamendo, similar to Napster. I am interested to know some responses from the perspective of programmers (internal or external) for the requirements that is API, torrents, formats to serve data, rational to serve data optimally (i.e. direct initially then torrent), function of the interface user web current, languages to program the interface user alternative.

As I have programmed Songbird, the subsequent is a description breif to its potential as an program interface user to media free:
    libre languages mozilla to program cross platform XPCOM, Javascript
    XUL, CSS to interface user style

Imagine a program similar to Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, iTunes that initializes to a site of news (music, critiques, videos?). Those other programs are culture proprietary. I think the community related to creative commons, Jamendo, is mature enough to control a type program then propagate. I think the localization is important for a program at scale global. I use the programs seldom that offer music proprietary media but I think the media is localized initially (America North for me). I am interested to know the experience of persons from elsewhere than America North with those or other programs proprietary. Any solutions or problems for localizations?

I loaded realplayer recently to see a graphphoto celebrity. I imagine a system local connected to a service like Facebook. Persons concerned have viewed and rated graphphotos of friends and potentially strangers (but in a near region) from some day recent (parties that happened in places various in the city the night previous), some graphs rated best appear intially. Llike what happened when I used realplayer except I have more concern for example the reason is I may want to go to that place to party some day (at least I know I can find a decent party somewhere other than california, and I have seen a graphphoto of a beautiful woman who I may actually encounter in person while I walk the streets in my city).

Somehow to think that persons have concern for celebrities enough to stalk them in news is a cause for me to know that either the program can have potency or my statements previous were normal stalkerish.

The prior was a statement for equality.

Andrew
  • i, too, vote for direct (if not, default) OGG Vorbis support.
    the Vorbis codec is completely free by nature, and adds to the free culture of the website.
    the codec is native to Linux, and due to its free nature it is easily implemented on Window$ and Cac.

supporting MP3 not only gives more power to the corporations that hold various patents for it, it also popularizes the use of a 20+ year old inferior codec.

i still support what the website's doing in terms of music distribution and licenses, and think it's a really great site in that sense.
  • I too would love to be able to download OGG directly. I don't have a lot of knowledge on these things, but since you can download an album in OGG directly (as shown by Nuihc88) shouldn't it just be to add a link to it on the download screen?
    I do believe Jamendo is growing so big it can actually have an impact on which formats is seen as standards and in following the Creative commons philosophy it seem Jamendo should try to push for OGG (which they do by allowing bittorrent download of OGG of course, but to allow direct download would be an even further step, and maybe put up some kind of explanation on the download screen what the difference between mp3 and OGG is).

Anyway, I love the site (and of course I love all the musicians who put their music out under CC) so OGG isn't crucial, but it would be a nice feature.
  • I find it peculiar that Jamendo even offers ogg downloads when they don't work. They didn't work in the spring, they don't work now. What is wrong with the jamendo torrents not autoseeding?
  • [quote=sylvinus]Ogg is cool but let's face it, on 500k members on jamendo, not even 5k use it.[/quote]

[quote=The Chilling Spirit]I wish the Ogg Vorbis at Jamendo was compressed to a reasonable bitrate (Q5) rather than being so bloaty.[/quote]

Related? I think so.

I know I'd be downloading -q5 oggs instead of mp3s if they were available, and directly downloadable as opposed to bittorrent. Bittorrent is not only usually broken, it only makes sense when there are multiple simultaneous downloads, which I doubt is the case for most Jamendo downloads.

Forrest
  • I also would love it if Jamendo would offer direct ogg files. I do not know if it is practical, but what if jamendo could tell whether there were a low number of seeds out and, if so, offer a direct ogg download link. For the popular files, I do not have any objection to them being only available in torrent (although I would suggest that mp3s be treated the same).

Let's keep positive guys!

Thank you for everyone's support of ogg!!!
  • yeah... direct ogg downloads for the win!
  • I have to underline that Ogg Vorbis is an awesome audio codec. It's free (fits to the cretive commons philosophy). It's better than other codecs like mp3/acc (which are not even free to use, because it is/contains "intellectual property" of big companys. I for example cannot play legally those codecs. But *everyone* can easily play Ogg Vorbis. Even on the typical mp3-player you can install rockbox. So I think there are main advantages to Ogg Vorbis, so it should be at least be as good supported as mp3 in Jamendo.

Please allow users directly and easily to download Ogg Vorbis albums.

And I like the bittorrent philosophy. I'd like to support Jamendo with seeding the albums I like. But in order to use bittorrent there has to be at least one seeder. And this seeder has always to be Jamendo. If that is not the case, it does not work well.

Thanks and please support Ogg Vorbis even more. :)
  • Doktorn said:
    I too would love to be able to download OGG directly. I don't have a lot of knowledge on these things, but since you can download an album in OGG directly (as shown by Nuihc88) shouldn't it just be to add a link to it on the download screen?

I usually upload a lossless FLAC to Archive.org at the same time I upload to Jamendo, then put the link to it in the Jamendo album description. It's also simple enough to offer Ogg files as a direct download... simply add the link to the Album Description. See: http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/49528 to see how I did it.

Happy holidays,
    Randy
  • Hi everyone, and hopefully a more happy new ogg year!

Since unofficial direct download exist it could be used to add Web seeding for torrents. What do Jamendo think of that?
    No special torrent content hosting needed but still using torrent.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29#Web_seeding
    http://www.bittornado.com/docs/webseed-spec.txt
    http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:SprihvOr5EEJ:www.bittornado.com/docs/webseed-spec.txt+webseed-spec.txt
  • I think it would be best if Jamendo ditched both mp3 and the direct downloads. This way the vorbis torrents would be a lot more popular and easy to get. It would be just like in the old days when Jamendo was starting up.

Back then it was no problem to get any vorbis files over torrent, but since the direct mp3 downloads things have gone really bad.

And I love my high quality Vorbis files. It would be even better if there were flac's.
  • I have made a Bash script to download and extract any of Jamendo's OGG albums. It uses Martin Ankerl's "e" to extract the album and wget to download.
    It will download and install e if you don't have it already.
    Change "location" in the directory function to change where it downloads the album to.

Download
  • Just incase this hasn't been presented there's a way to use the direct-download method to begin seeding torrents through Jamendo's trackers.
    For later use in this guide, an album number is in the URL (Address Bar) of the web-page you're looking at while looking at an albums play-list.

"http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/"

If you can make an empty html with a link than use this method for the link's URL..

"http://www.jamendo.com/get/album/id/album/archiverestricted/redirect//?p2pnet=bittorrent&are=ogg3"

This will download a zip file of quality 7 Vorbis codec Ogg files. The zip file wont have a directory structure it's self, but it's file name is identical (and it's content's) to the torrent.

So after it's downloaded create a new folder inside of the folder your torrents download to. Next open the Rename file on your newly download zip file, except instead of renaming it, select the file name minus the ".zip" at the end, and copy the file's name ("Ctrl" + "C"). Next rename your newly made folder by allowing yourself to edit the folder's name and, pasting your copied text into it ("Ctrl" + "V")

You should now have a folder with a near identical name to the Zip file of Ogg files you downloaded. Next, extract the Zip file into your new folder.

Now go to the albums page at Jamendo which will be at:

"http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/"

Click on download, if you haven't set-up your Jamendo account, and it isn't set-up to automatically download Ogg Torrents, click on the Ogg BitTorrent link. Open the "*.torrent" file. Upon opening the torrent you should notice your torrent software verifying the files already on your computer. Add the torrent to you query, and congratulations! You're now seeding Creative Commons media in Vorbis Codec inside of an Ogg Format.
  • I agree that Ogg files should be available for direct download
  • I wrote some bookmarklet which will download the currently shown album: http://paste2.org/p/1326973

But yes, bookmarklets like this must be unneccesary.
  • @untitaker: thanks, that Javascript bit works great.

Jamendo, please provide easy OGG download links (direct download, bittorrent, or both).
  • I listen to streams from Jamendo in ogg vorbis (I don't have flash installed). Jamendo's Android App allows the user to set the preferred codec for downloads, namely mp3 (the default setting) and Ogg. Stuff from Jamendo that's on Libre.fm is in Ogg format. But when I click the download link for albums on Jamendo.com, the only format offered is... mp3 (the torrents having very few seeds, they weren't a practical solution either unfortunately). So basically the files are transcoded in vorbis, they're there on the server but I couldn't find a way to download them -- until I spent quite a while searching the forum and stumbled upon qqubodup's hint.

As a user I prefer Ogg because not only it's a free, patent unencumbered format (yes, I do care about that) but also because its quality is better.

Come on guys, I think users really should have the possibility to easily download in Ogg format, especially since the encoding is already done, all that's missing is a link. Last but not least, that would suit well Jamendo which promotes free (as in "libre") music.

Please consider providing easy Ogg download links.
  • Please provide direct download links to the Ogg Vorbis files, and/or provide more seeders for these. I always seed stuff for some time, but if there are no seeds or peers to begin with, this is of course not possible.

The work-around at the top of this page does work, but this is no solution (since it is a work-around). Is there, based on this download, a simple way to become a seeder of the provided torrent?
  • Downloading Ogg is almost impossible now! I would greatly appreciate if anybody could find an easy way to do it without all these messing torrents ~_~
  • Hi guys,

I've made a simple Google Chrome extension to make direct downloads of OGG albums easier:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kpicjjholmbagefpjfcjaecigbdbdpao

After you install the extension, every time you visit any album page on Jamendo an icon appears on the right of the address bar next to the star (bookmark) icon. Clicking this "Download as OGG" icon starts the download.

This is a bit easier than pasting a download URL yourself every time.
  • If this is functional, and works with all the albums, you, sir, will make a LOT of people happy campers!
  • Trustmaster said:
    I've made a simple Google Chrome extension to make direct downloads of OGG albums easier:

Wow!:clap::thumbup:
    that´s a great, helpful tool. Can you also make it working in firefox?
  • Sorry, I'm not a Firefox guru. It was quite easy to make for Chrome, but it may take a long time until I make a FF plugin.
  • As an avid OGG fan I'm thrilled with your Chrome browser extension and so far works great. Thanks very much for your contribution

Cheers
  • Available for Firefox: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/30982

Iirc this works without or with tiny modifications in Opera too.
  • I'm sure the userscript in the post above works fine, but i decided to make a Firefox add-on anyway.
    It puts a little button in your add-on bar which gets activated whenever you visit an album page.

Download: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/jamendo-album-downloader/
    Source code: https://gitorious.org/jamendo-album-downloader
  • I agree with this desire. I usually don't really mind using MP3, but with a service like Jamendo it makes sense that OGG should be equally present. After reading this thread, I went with the Greasemonkey approach, which works neatly.
  • For some reason even the old way to download Ogg Vorbis files
    (e.g. http://www.jamendo.com/get/album/id/album/archiverestricted/redirect/23661/?are=ogg3 )
    does not work today. Has the Ogg Vorbis support been dropped completely by Jamendo or is it some kind of API change?