Jamendo's Competition?
  • What competition does Jamendo face? Where do artists place their works for free listening other than at Jamendo? Where do listeners go for free music downloads and listening other than at Jamendo? I'm aware of sites that charge listeners for listening and downloads, such as iTunes and Rhapsody. I'm also aware of sites that charge artists for displaying their songs and albums, such as Broadjam.

However, I don't know of a site that combines the free access for listeners and musicians that Jamendo displays, nor of any site that contains Jamendo's many features--such as forums, groups, and artist blogs. I'd like to hear from others about alternative sites. From my perspective Jamendo seems unique, and that makes it extremely important that it succeed and continue to function.
  • I agree, I've not found anywhere quite like Jamendo, it's like part social networking site, part online music shop (a free shop of course.)

That's why I upload the music I put out for free here. The only thing I know of that comes close is bandcamp maybe? That's a popular place for bands/artists to put up their music for free. But there's no networking or database element to it, each artist simply has their own store and url - so it's not like here where people can come to discover new music by browsing the site.
  • Another site I have went through, looking for Creative Commons music:

http://mymusicstream.com

You have to wade through the copyrighted music/artists and you may find a few CC in there. It has a look of early Jamendo, but not nearly the clientle..
  • Soundcloud and Bandcamp both seem popular among indie musicians, but both are bad for discoverability - you won't aquire listeners on either site unless you give the URL out to friends and forums. Youtube is also used by some people, and can be a decent method of aquiring listeners.

Jamendo seems to be the ideal site for people who want to post or browse music with a CC license though.
  • Unfortunately that doesn't fly well on here. If their music is on Jamendo, AND Bandcamp, that is one thing - but if the just drop in to say Hey come to XYZ site to hear me, nope. That post is toast...
  • Bandcamp doesn't want to compete with community sites. It's a mere music files hosting site for musicians. I use it because it has some interesting features which Jamendo is lacking: several upload and download formats, website integration, various players/widgets, post-upload changes of albums. And it's stable and fast. A merger of Jamendo and Bandcamp features....
  • Apparently Bandcamp will soon be allowing for CC license based searches as well, which might do a lot for them with regard to free music. As for other resources, well there're hundreds of netlabels, the vast majority of whom don't release through Jamendo - then Sonic Squirrel and Soundcloud (which is rarely good for exploration). Plus there are plenty of blogs out there reviewing free music (including www.beatlizard.com :D) and some larger magazine sites like Phlow Magazine or Netlabelism.com - which also has a 'Contributors Database' with releases fed from netlabels. Then there's Twitter, spend half an hour following the right sites and labels and you'll get a steady stream of releases.

None of them are quite like Jamendo of course, but there really is a massive scene out there which runs parallel to this community - always depresses me a little that neither side pays much attention to the other, but then they both have very different attitudes towards music I find.
  • I have also looked at http://www.myspoonful.com as a site, but unfortunately they don't seem to have Creative Commons listings, even though they say "free Downloads." I looked at Amazon.com to see if any of the artists are on there, and yep, sure were. That eliminated them as a source....
  • Thanks very much for the suggestions about additional sites; I especially enjoyed exploring Bandcamp. Of course, as I reviewed the additional recommended sites I also gained new appreciation for the special niche filled by Jamendo--with its many features for both artists and listeners and its worldwide, multilingual coverage of musical styles.

[I've also found that different hardware and mixware companies do sometimes offer some small space for artists to display their works (but these are usually extremely limited since they are set up for a different purpose); e.g., PSRTutorial features in their Music/Performer section online space for performers to exhibit music performed on various Yamaha Keyboard workstations and Acoustica-Mixcraft has a small forum for musicians to post files showing how they've used the mixing software. These specialized sites have their uses, but they do not begin to provide general exposure for musicians, nor useful archives for listeners. Their main function is to answer technical questions and provide samples related to using the hardware or software.]
  • I looked at the terms and conditions statement on Bandcamp and didn't see any restrictions that would prevent putting the same singles and albums up on BOTH Jamendo and Bandcamp. Is that correct? Apparently, both Jamendo/SafeCreative and Bandcamp can collect monies for musicians on the same products. Is that your understanding, or are there restrictions that would prevent dual listings and dual collections?

frank.harper said:
  • Jamendos licenses are non-exclusive, hence you're allowed to provide your music additionally whereever you want.
  • Unless, like Bella Ruse, you wish to leave an album here, but make money at another label/site.
    I had asked Bella Ruse if they were going to continue putting music up on Jamendo.
    They declined to, but were leaving what they have here in place.
  • I very much like the Jamendo community (although it's been disturbing recently to have prolific reviewers such as musictomyears and orangepurple leave because of criticisms about their reviewing styles). Although I do like some of Bandcamp's features I don't know if I want to go to the trouble of putting all my music up there as well as on Jamendo; I'll probably do just a few test placements to get more familiar with Bandcamp (and to have a backup outlet just in case Jamendo falters). My understanding is that Bandcamp also uses non-exclusive licensing--is that correct?
  • Jamendo has some good qualities but believe when they go bad they are rotten to the core.
  • what do you mean? You had a bad experience with Jamendo?